The Joy School Middle School has a summer reading requirement by incoming grade level:
- 6th graders – Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
- 7th graders – Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick
- 8th graders – True Grit by Charles Portis
Download Reading Questions Below
Students should answer questions in complete sentences, and they should print out answers or email them to their teacher for the 2021-2022 school year.
You will need to purchase this book for your child to read. You can find your book on amazon.com (learn how you can support TJS when you shop Amazon!). If a student has a membership with Bookshare or Learning Ally, the book has been added to student accounts. However, having a print version as a backup is advised.
Students should answer questions in complete sentences, and they should print out answers or email them to their teacher for the 2019-2020 school year. If the computer is used, then your child should have Word Q turned on to assist with spelling and to read your child’s work to check for the organization of the written work.
You are encouraged to take an active interest in the reading. You may read along with your child and read and discuss questions. Answers are to be completed by the student in complete sentences and students are encouraged to type their work. Completed packets are due on the first day of school. Students who provide mostly correct answers will receive a free dress pass and a free homework pass. Please do not hesitate to email your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
- Scott Brown (6th & 7th) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brady King (6th & 7th) - email@example.com
- Katie Kushner (6th & 8th) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farah Mithani (6th ) - email@example.com
- Sandy Sorensen (6th & 7th) - firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not hesitate to email your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
Middle School Language Arts Teachers